Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

My mom has been teasing me with Facebook posts about lattes in the jacuzzi, family Scrabble games and home-cooked meals, making me more homesick than ever. So I opted to make myself some home-y delicious food.

Boston Organics clearly had an influx of butternut squash because it's been a recent regular. So I looked up their butternut squash soup recipe and got to work.

I baked the squash first (I did it at 350, since their recipe doesn't specify the temperature), and simultaneously sautéed shallots and onions and garlic powder, before adding vegetable broth and a touch of cream, which the recipe doesn't call for, but some other recipes did. I also used pears, rather than apples.

I'm terrible with recipes. I figure they're more like guidelines that actual rules, so I look at several and get the basic gist of what I need to do. Then I cook.

While I scooped out the squash and blended everything together, I also cooked up some kale and shallots (I didn't have garlic). The kale was beautiful, but a little bitter, so my roommate recommended that I add a vinegar-based hot sauce. I did and it made such a difference.

Delicious, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment