Friday, September 16, 2011

A MetrOrganics Primer

The organic trend is on the up-and-up, and for good reason. Organic foods aren't genetically modified; they lack pesticides and toxins, and are higher in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. In addition to being healthy for one's body, they also benefit the environment because fewer toxins are being released into the ecosystem. Plus, they tend to come from local farms and support the local economy. They're fresher and better tasting.

But in a metropolitan center, quality organic food can be challenging to come by.

As someone with a busy schedule and an exhausted bank account, I know how difficult it is to live healthy in a big city. But I've recently developed a genuine interest in health and food, and especially the world of Boston organic food. I'm delving into the Boston "green" scene and plan to keep readers posted on all the best farmers' markets, urban gardening, local restaurants and general organic news.

To be fair, I'm admittedly a health foodie when it's convenient to me. But sometimes when I weigh time and money against healthfulness, I end up opting for what's easy. I've had plenty of Raman and Wendy's in my day. But, for the sake of my own health and for the integrity of this blog, I'm making an effort to buy organic, to eat home-cooked meals as frequently as possible. I'm an on-again-off-again vegetarian looking to be more committed, and an ex-athlete hoping to up the intensity.

But I'm making some changes, and I'll be sure to share my experiences here. Stay tuned, and follow me on twitter @mdaniells.


No comments:

Post a Comment